Thursday, June 11, 2015

1989

I know it's kinda silly to love a pop album so much. But yet, when I think of all the music I've purchased or been introduced to this year (2014-2015) I feel like Taylor Swift's 1989 has stuck with me the most. (I knowwwwwwwwwwww, I'm a dork with basic taste, deal with it!) I loved Taylor's music so much before 1989 dropped, and I was admittedly NOIVOUS  (Nervous, said with an accent) to see what this album held in store. Was she selling out? Was she gonna turn into just another pop star slinking around, lip synching and not having any talent besides being attractive enough for makeup and stylists to work with? Would her music not seem, her, anymore? Would it lack emotion and soul? Clearly, I'm very invested in her career that I was having all these anxious thoughts leading up to it' October release. (Then again I'll find a way to worry about anything! hah!)

The funny thing is, when I first heard "Shake it Off" I was like NO I HATE IT. And would switch the station when it came on. Somehow it earwigged its way into my life and a week later I was like OK I LIKE IT HOW DID THAT EVEN HAPPEN! (she's magic like that). Then "Out of the Woods" came and I was like "ok, I can get on board with this. I like the stadium-y sound".  Even though I love her country-pop sound I also loved the strictly pop songs on Red of course. (She did a good job of transitioning her style, for sure). Then the album came and I was very excited to see what was what. The Target advertising was on point (as per usual, dang I would LOVE to work for Target's creative team) using the song "Style" to promote the release. It was Taylor-ish, lots of words and story telling but with a catchy tune. But I loved the pop-i-ness of it.   Hearing that song TRULY made me excited for the things to come. And I love, (at least this seems to be the truth--you never truly can know someone else's mind) that Taylor is just as excited about her music as her fans are. The day I got the album I took it home to read the foreward on the jacket cover (I think physically having albums to hold dates me but I LIKE TO HAVE THEM physically and digitally, call me old fashioned). Let me show you some of what she wrote:

"These songs were once about my life.  They are now about yours.
I was born in Reading, Pennsylvania on December 13th, 1989.
In the world we live in, much is said about when when we are born
and when we die.......what can be said of all the moments in between our birth
and our death? The moments when we are reborn...
I know people can change because it happens to me little by little
every day. Every day I wake up as someone slightly new.
Isn't that wild and intriguing and beautiful to think that every day we are new?
....I've told you my stories for years now. Some have been about coming of age, some
have been about coming undone. This is a story about coming into your own, and as a result?
Coming alive....I hope you know you have given me the courage to change.
Love,
Taylor"


I love having the courage to change. Even if what you've been doing is good, great, good enough or whatever..It's ok to want to change and grow. Change is what keeps us moving, keeps us learning, keeps us fresh. So here's to fresh, here's to fun, and here's to having the courage to change! (And some pictures from the concert). :)












No comments:

Post a Comment